Monday 15 October 2012

Winsor McCay Google Doodle

Today is the 107th anniversary of the animator and cartoonist Windosor McCay's Little Nemo in Slumberland and to celebrate it Google has created an animated comic strip style doodle on their home page.  Here's an image of the doodle below.

In case you missed the Google Doodle a video (not made by me unfortunately) can be found of it here.

I discovered McCay's work last year when working on my EPQ animation and I immediately became a fan of his Gertie the Dinosaur animations and his meticulous process of working that involved drawing each frame on rice paper and then testing them on a homemade cardboard contraption. I have a lot of respect for McCay as Gertie was probably the first character animation, with a figure that had a solid weight, blinked and even breathed and this Doodle is a thing of sheer beauty from the fluid animation to the classic style all captured in one very sophisticated Doodle that I think does his work justice.

Happy Anniversary McCay!

No comments:

Post a Comment