Wednesday 17 October 2012

Chesterfield Sculpture Discovery

Walking through town today I found that several new sculptures had been installed. They didn't say who had made them and I hadn't heard anything about them. Chesterfield also isn't known for it's sculptures so I was really surprised to find them.



The key at the front of the sculpture





Hands in the walls


I really like the transparent dog - the detail, the position and the expression on the dog's face work great together to make a dog that looks a bit exhausted. The detail on the falcon in the dome was amazing as well as it maintained a strong look. Since the pieces were all in a shopping area, now called Falcon Yard, I guess that the pieces relate to shopping in some way. The falcon piece, which involve a falcon clutching onto an ice berg, seemed to be about how areas can disappear, but we should try to capture them and hold onto them, perhaps like our high streets. The dog piece is maybe about how we shouldn't lock away all of our options (for shopping), we shouldn't be satisfied, we should keep searching, remaining open (the transparent element). I don't know though - these interpretations seem quite thin and unrelevant to any real issues. These pieces were a great surprise, but they remain something of a mystery to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment