Wednesday 10 October 2012

W4 - Illustration Homework

As part of our theory we had to look at 6 different illustrators and write about our opinion of their work. Below are the pages from my sketchbook on this work.





After looking at the example sketchbooks earlier in the week I wanted to create more of an engaging look to these sketchbook pages, so I decided to add strips of collage paper as a background. These wouldn't stick down though, so I had to use masking tape to secure them. I did plan to take these off later but I quite liked the effect so they've stayed.

Conclusion to Illustration:

Before I started Illustration this week I did have an idea of where illustration is used, but from looking at it this week I began to realise how anything in our environment could be turned into an illustration and that illustrators are employed in multiple areas of lots of different kinds of businesses, not primarily just books. This increased the range of what I classed as illustration and has had the effect of making me draw a lot more lately. By learning and using loose working styles and techniques all week it has removed the pressure from my drawings, making me focus on getting the basic form and shape down first instead of focusing on the details too early.

This week I've been quite inspired by the work of Sara Fanelli, as it made me look at different styles of illustration where collage can be mixed with drawings to create slightly odd, but interesting effects. I really liked that she could create a different interpretation of the novel 'Pinocchio' that was completely different to the Disney version that you instantly think of, I think that takes quite a bit of originality. From the illustrators that I researched I loved Andrew Bannecker's and Pietari Posti's work because of their incredibly strong use of colour, line and shapes to create often simple, uncomplicated but beautiful works. I found that their pieces were packed with emotion and that they were quite atmospheric.

Inside of illustration I really love animation as I enjoy looking at the expression of movement and how one drawing can evolve into a moving life form on the page. Of capturing expressions from real life and transferring them to a new form that you've created, while having the freedom to do almost anything that you want all from a series of single drawings. This week has helped me to get more movement into my drawings and created another way of transferring energy effectively from an object to a drawing. I also enjoy looking at illustrations in books though, especially book covers as I like seeing how illustrators can interpret an entire novel in one image so that the viewer is so engaged that they feel that they have to read the book, despite the merit of the illustrator and that of the author being often unconnected. The fact that books are frequently re-printed with different covers means that I find it interesting as well to see how these interpretations change and how illustrators can try to make something original, but still as relevant to the purpose of the book as the previous cover. It seems so challenging, but the results are so rewarding to look at and compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment