Thursday 29 November 2012

ABC: Printmaking (1)

This first session was focused on just getting used to using the printmaking equipment and experimenting with different shapes and colours.

I'd enjoyed trying mono-printing in Textiles and I love the look of screen printing as it's flat, solid colours are always so distinctive, so I was looking forward to doing more printing.

We started with printing using packaging, which was quite interesting as it made you look at the shape of the items more closely. We made large collections of prints in groups, trying to get as many prints as possible on a page with a mix of colours to get a good composition.

Below is a print that I did using the same process, except overlapping the prints to use more of the space.


I really like the different textures created from the great solid colour to the fainter purple shape. While working with packaging was a nice introduction to printing using a press/ roller, as it was group work it didn't leave a lot of room for experimentation or creativity, so I was glad when we moved onto making our own pieces, inspired by shapes from the observational drawings that we'd done previously.


This image used the shape of a hand and I really do love the solid, flat colour. The layers came out well here, overlapping but not obtrusively so that the colours don't merge into one horrible colour. Using the thread gave an interesting effect - I didn't think that the line would be as thick, but combined with the flat colour it stops the piece looking too flat.


This image was more experimental with the stencils. I had wanted to match the blue and orange shapes up perfectly to create a really controlled image, but this wasn't really the aim of the day, it was more about figuring out what printmaking could do. Although it turned better than it probably would have had it been controlled, as the overlaps of blue and orange distort the layers, so that you can't be sure which layer was applied first, which I really like.


Again an experimental print as I wanted to see the effect that using once printed stencils would have. It was useful to see how weak the ink became, but compared to the freshly inked shape of the nose, they aren't nearly as powerful in terms of immediate appearance.


An effect of the printing process as the ink on the other sides of the stencils printed onto the paper on top. I like how the excess prints or mistakes can be used as well as the initial prints - nothing's wasted in printing.

I had a good introduction to printing with this session, but I would have liked more time to experiment with the shapes and do individual work. I tried to control the printing process and plan it out, especially as the reverse printing initially confused me, but I think that it would have been better to just experiment with the stencils and processes, as this often created the more interesting results that I could learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment