Wednesday 26 September 2012

W3 - Graphic Design Evaluation

From looking at Graphic Design this week I think that I will be more aware of design that is all around us, especially the use of text, like it's typefaces and connotations. Before I thought that the text was always second to the image, but I realise now that it's just as important. By focusing on typography on this project it means that I'll now observe text more closely, particularly on packaging as I never knew that they contained so many different fonts.

I was inspired also by the work of Barkley for the Johnson County Library as I think the designs are an amazing piece of advertisement that not only creates a fun, modern impression of the library but of the selected books as well. I love the use of puns and bold designs and that it's possible that the series can be continued by simply selecting a new novel.

The discipline that I find the most interesting in Graphic Design is the drawing aspect of it. I've really enjoyed creating the thumbnail sketches as they allow you to plan ideas and sort out compositions before committing to one idea. Before having to specify down, it's a fun and free way of working that encourages development. I've also enjoyed looking at how design is applied, especially on book covers. I always love looking at different book covers and designers' takes on material and I found it interesting to see several examples of how designers apply a style to a series. I found this useful to see as they provided good examples of when design can develop, forming an obvious series tied together, yet each design was different. After focusing on typography I also realised how a series can be tied together simply through text and that text is crucial sometimes in conveying the tone of the book.

Overall, I think this week in Graphic Design has taught me a lot about the medium, changing my outlook on design so that I'm now more aware and appreciative of the different aspects of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment