Wednesday 12 December 2012

ABC Printmaking (2)

This session focused on using the practices that we'd learnt last week, like using packaging to print, using stencils to block out colours, layering colours and mono-printing, except we had to combine them with drawings of people that we'd done in our sketchbooks to create figure based prints.


The extra print is simpler and bolder than the intended final image.
Really bold simple shapes seem to work best with the flat colour of printing. It's getting the composition right every time that I seem to struggle with - I want to plan them out more, but it's often accidental pieces that are the best. Still I was able to use more varied layers this time to see the effects that they'd have. In particular I liked the lined background effect - it's perhaps too much on the image above, but it might be good to use in the future.

This week I was more experimental with the pieces and I think the final prints look better because of this. Also having a focus in the faces helps to center the prints more than the previous abstract ones, but overall I liked just having strong expressions in the prints, it makes them more lively and easier to connect to.

No comments:

Post a Comment