Sunday 14 April 2013

Teapot Flowerpot



Mini-project on the side today - painting a teapot for a family member to use as a plant pot.

Apparently you're not supposed to offer your services for free, but when this family member keeps you in a continuous supply of cake, offering to paint a teapot is the least that I could do.

Strange start: I saw that day a teapot being used as a plant pot in a magazine and then my relative said she had a large teapot that she was going to give away...weird coincidence.

I was going to go for a boring typical spot pattern, but then I saw a design on a teapot of large block colour leaves, almost abstract. It reminded me of St Judes' work, in particular Angie Lewin because of the bright blocks of colour. (I would have posted the image of the block colour teapot, except that it was on ebay and so has now disappeared). Her style is a bit intricate for my teapot and timescale though.

Spey Birches - screenprint by Angie Lewin - printmaker
Sprey Birches - Angie Lewin

Image from: http://www.angielewin.co.uk/collections/current-prints/products/spey-birches

I wanted a design that was quite simple and bold for a few reasons: it has to stand out in a garden, it's going to get battered by the elements, so it needs to be easy to re-paint and it's for an older relative, so something a bit out there wouldn't be her cup of tea (pun intended).

As always observations were needed:



The Teapot

The quality of the photos isn't great (I blame the clouds), but I'm not sure about the final design...maybe it's a bit too simple, I perhaps could have used more of the space, but I quite like the overlap and mix of scales. I might add some more items if I get time.







No comments:

Post a Comment